Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Meeting people in the buff

The internet affords one the option of shopping in the personal comfort of one's home attired (or not) as one chooses. As you've probably heard, an individual recently went on a spree at Willow Valley and Darrenkamp Supermarket with the same approach, having forgotten the expectations of our society and the laws of the land. An unfortunate and destructive incident.

But I bring further attention to the event to highlight the actions of one Matt Irwin. He exemplified in an extreme case the Grace Church purpose statement, which was almost quoted verbatim in the article I'm referencing written by Cindy Stauffer and Tom Murse of the Lancaster New Era.

Irwin, didn't see Nicholas Hadzick as a naked guy who was running amok, he says. With God's direction, he says, he saw someone who needed his help. "I wanted to be his friend," Irwin says. "I think what he needed most was recognition that people cared about him, that someone was willing to meet him where he was at the time."

Nicholas was simply a common day version of The Woman at the Well. And in the spirit exemplified by Christ in that scene, Irwin reached out. Though I likely won't, nor do I wish, to encounter a naked man in public, I hope I reach out to those whose paths cross mine.

In that vein, I need to follow up with Terry tomorrow. Who do you need to contact?