Monday, March 03, 2008

How God has been working among the Elders

There have been occasions when the hours after an Elder meeting were some of the most discouraging and frustrating hours of my week. But I'm ecstatic to say that for the past several years I've experienced the complete opposite with last night being the latest episode.


I come away from Elder meetings today inspired and motivated by the men who serve with us. Our partnership is tighter than I've seen in my decade of serving with them. Last night, I sought their feedback on a decision I have to make and to a man, each of them challenged me to take courage and boldness in following God's leading. Tim and me reflected on the moment after the meeting concluded and reminded ourselves of the number of times we've heard of or seen firsthand Elder boards that were reluctant in leadership and wishy-washy about what God was calling the church to do.


I appreciate each of them for their humility, their understanding as to what God has them to do and their passion to follow that calling each step of the way. Their recognition that their sinners saved by Grace, just like the next person and their complete reliance on Our Savior.


Like many other aspects of our ministry, our staff/Elder partnership is not the norm. I consider it a real privilege to have the kind of relationship we have with one another and feel truly blessed by it; I don't take it for granted.


So as I drove home from last night's meeting, my heart was filled with joy as I contemplated all that God is doing and my mind was excitedly filled with ideas of all the things I need to be working on next in pursuit of serving the Lord.



COMING UP NEXT: Adjusting to daylight saving time one day at a time