Tuesday, March 04, 2008

It's out in the recycling

We owe Dan and Lynn Libby one gargantuan thank you...

The night before leaving for Dallas, I picked my Dad up with the blue van and took him to the facility he'd be staying at while I was away. The battery had drained on the vehicle, an unidentifiable electrical problem that had plagued it for the past four years, requiring a jump to get it started after the weekend, so for fear that I couldn't get it to start again, I left it running the entire hour or so that I got Dad settled. With Dad I settled, I pulled out of the parking lot to discover the van had leaked a nice sized puddle of dirty oil. She was bleeding, severe internal bleeding.

We'd anticipated that this day was drawing near and had been courting a replacement, so we weren't caught off guard. But it was clear that there wasn't much life left in the once beautiful machine that was now a blue bomb. And so, after 234,xxx miles, the blue van has made its last official voyage.

We laughed unabashedly in the face of the auto dealers who questioned whether we'd be trading in our current vehicle, with us insisting that our vehicle had absolutely no worth. It's final trip will be to the recycling yard to be turned into scrap.

It has completed it's service to us, having taken us about 100,000 miles ourselves, in addition to the 100,000 the Libby's traveled in it. Dan and Lynn sold it to us for $1 some 11 years ago. We owe them a gargantuan Thank You!