Friday, March 21, 2008

Guarding internet connections - part 2

This is a follow-up to a post from last August. Since we implemented internet access at Grace Church, we've employed a content filter. For over a year we've been using St. Bernard's iPrism content filter. It serves us well. I'll say it forever, like a home security system, it's meant to deter and protect, but it's not a perfect system. Since the iPrism only protects computers accessing the internet at Grace Church, we had to find a different filter solution for our mobile machines that connect through the internet at other locations.

We use Covenant Eyes on our laptop machines so that when those users are on the road, or the local coffee shop their internet use is protected. It too has served us well. In addition to filtering content, Covenant Eyes sends a weekly usage report to an accountability partner. We have it setup that the reports go to the staff members supervisor. This setup has been serving us well too. That covers the Grace Church machines, but what about home use?

For home use I came across two free web-based filters, ScrubIT and OpenDNS a few months back in a post by Tony Dye. I've been using ScubIT myself. It was simple to install, in fact, they have an automated setup that didn't require me to do anything technical other than run it. Once it's up and running, any machine that connects through our home router is under the umbrella protection of ScrubIT.

I've been pleased with the service, in fact, I had sorta forgotten it was active until I was searching for a picture from the movie Men in Black last night. I was blocked from one of the sites that had the pic I was looking for. The URL of the site looked tame enough, but I'll trust the filter to have a valid reason for keeping me out. I made do without the graphic.

If you don't have a filter, seriously consider one of the two free options. They're easy to install and don't cost you a thing. Protect yourself and anyone else accessing the internet on your machine(s).