Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What I learned today: Hallways and Handwashing

Twenty some years ago, I would've denied any enjoyment in learning. Grade school and undergrad were a chore for me, but now that I've had the opportunity to focus on specific areas and see the direct applicability of lessons learned, I've found learning to be very enjoyable.

Though I didn't know it at the time, much of my philosophy of learning, was crystalized in middle school when I decided that I wanted to pursue a Bible degree first to give myself a solid foundation upon which I'd build/add any other specialties. Today, I like to push myself to look for lessons to learn from a diverse range, taking those observations and lessons and passing them through the filter of my Biblical foundation and applying the dregs that remain in the filter.

Though I saw a lot of interesting things at Prestonwood today, two small details caught my eye related to our Early Childhood ministry: hallways and bathrooms.

I am adimant that the size of hallways cannot be underestimated in any facility project. They have to be designed to move a maximum amount of people in an efficient manner; the wider the better. I've seen too many churches from the 1970's era that present significant traffic flow issues because of narrow hallways. In addition to large hallways, making the children's area hallways vibrant with color creates an atmosphere of comfortable enthusiasm that's attractive. The off-white Early Childhood hallway of Grace, with some paint, can easily be transformed into a whole different atmosphere.

If you walk the daycare halls during the day, at various times you'll pass entire classes lined up by the restrooms for potty breaks. By law, employees must always have their eye on the children, with exceptions made only when their relieving themselves. Traditional bathrooms with both sinks and commodes behind closed doors present a challenge to this. The employees are required to monitor the kids when they're washing their hands at the same time watching the line of kids waiting in the hallway. At Prestonwood I saw an interesting solution to this conundrum; public handwashing stations. Only the commodes were behind closed doors for privacy. The children's sinks were outside the restroom in a small alcove off of the hallway, arranged as a shared, communal washing area. I found it to be an outside the box approach to allowing employees maximum visibility for keeping track of the children in their care.

I enjoy learning.