Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Crisis Management

Knowing that the students are safe an no lives have been lost, I took some time this evening to learn a little bit about Union University. I was intrigued by their use of the web for information flow as they navigate the crisis.

1. I hope that I would be equally open in disseminating information in my responsibilities.

2. It's a good reminder that multiple avenues for communication need to be available. Mobile phone towers, landlines, internet connections, etc. can be destroyed. For that matter, even if they weren't, if someone's mobile phone charger was left in their now destroyed room, their mobile phone's battery is eventually going to run out rendering that avenue ineffective.

3. A coordinated response with strong leadership is critical.


While I'll never believe our contingency planning is complete (there will always be another contingency we haven't considered), we do have some general contingency plans in place at Grace which I'll share next time.