Monday, June 04, 2007

Commencement 2006-2007

My wife and I attended the Lititz Christian School commencement of 2006-2007. We started attending the annual celebration several years ago. I enjoy seeing the students who I've passed in the hallways on a regular basis and some who I've coached on the soccer field in years past, achieve the accomplishment of completing their high school graduation.

I had heard many compliment the Lititz Christian Class of 2007, but never really realized it myself until commencement. It was clear throughout the program that this was a special class. Unified, upstanding teens who came together as a group, encouraging each other and spurring each other on toward love and good deeds. I'm proud of these students, but even more, I'm excited about how God might use them in the future.

I was excited to hear how each graduate feels God is leading them right now. At least two are feeling led to use their God-given musical talents to lead church worship. There are students pursuing social work, nursing, teaching english, dance, fire/EMT, business - a whole array. I haven't had a big role in their education, but I take the chance to shake the hands of the students I've gotten to know and congratulate them on their accomplishments. In some cases, kids that I first met as 6th grade runts who I've watched grow into young teens. Kids who as freshmen we acting well below their age in the front seat of the bus on the way to a soccer match, who, with a few years under their belts are now ready to head to college with a level of confidence. Kids for whom studying maybe didn't come naturally making this achievement worth celebrating.

I'm proud of our Class of 2007. I congratulate them and am excited to hear how God uses them as they enter the next phase of their lives.