Saturday, June 02, 2007

A Church/School Relationship that is Working

Thank you to the Administering Grace faithful who've been checking in daily/weekly in spite of the recent black out. The 2007-2008 budgets have finally been completed and hopefully more regular posting will resume.

The 2007 school year is on the cusp of of completion. I came to Grace with a preconception about church-run schools. My grandparents attended a church that had a school ministry that strained both ministries. Hearing the stories of the regular tension between the church and school made me nervous about such arrangements. When I had the opportunity to join the staff at Grace, I seized it with a challenge to influence a positive church/school arrangement.

I've benefited greatly from the philosophy, values and structure that Pastor Young had already ingrained which already had our ministries primed to work in unison. In the last several years, it has been exciting to see us move to an even higher level of cooperation, in the end benefiting the people in our care. I've been energized by our school ministry in 2006-2007 and have seized opportunities to encourage, participate and support that aspect of our ministry.

From eating lunch with the faculty and staff, to being the secret reader, attending graduation and the school play, speaking to the grade 12 accounting class and the grade 6 computer class. I've gained an even deeper appreciation for the ministry of our teachers and the daily opportunity they have to influence the lives of the kids in the classes. I've gained a greater understanding of the huge role I have in providing the faculty and staff with the best benefits and compensation possible.

Through the school, and my responsibilities in supporting the faculty and staff, I have the privilege of impacting the lives of the students as well.