Monday, August 28, 2006

What I learned at last week's Twp mtg

I was at last Wednesday night's (8/23) Warwick Township Planning Commission meeting and I learned some interesting things. Since the meeting is a matter of public record, what I'm sharing isn't private info. So here's what I learned...

A Turkey Hill gas station is planned to be built on Newport Road near entrance to the Newport Square development.

Turkey Hill is actually owned by Kroger.

With the high price of gas, gas stations are seeing a huge increase in drive-offs.

The gas stations make a ton of money off of the cold drinks they sell, so much so that in designing gas stations the aim is to fit as many refrigerated units in the store as possible.

Because the new gas station will be nestled in a residential area, the planning commission was concerned that the station wouldn't be lit up like other large gas station complexes that can be seen from outer-space.

While to some sitting through a plan review discussion like this that took about 45 minutes may seem a bore, I learned information that fascinated me and I enjoyed watching our local government at work. I continue to be impressed with the organization in Warwick Township and their commitment to excellence.