Wednesday, August 16, 2006

1am prayer call

Our Maintenance Director is on vacation this week, so I'm filling in. I'm sure he gets his fair share of 1am prayer calls and doesn't even tell me, but I received mine tonight after a full day.

The fire alarms, for which I now have a new-found appreciation after the fire last spring, went off around 12:40 this morning. After talking with the fire chief and cleaning the faulty sensor (oh yeah, it was a false alarm) I decided to stick around for a while to make sure the system was stable again.

So there I was laying in the dark lobby trying to catch a little shut-eye while I gave the system time to check itself and it hit me... it's not often I'm the only person in the building and in a mindset when I don't want to do anything at all. So I prayed...

"Lord, thanks for the ministry you've given me here and the way You are expanding Your Kingdom through us. I recognize that in the leadership position in which you've placed me that I often have to make decisions about our ministries, please give me wisdom in that decision-making and open my eyes to the things You want me to base those decisions on. And I ask that You would continue to work through us and through this building which You've provided for us, to change lives, to help each one of us grow closer in our walks with You."

Next time you hear a fire alarm sound, first exit the building to safety, then consider using it as a call to prayer.