Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hibernation begins next week

If you've read my bio you may have taken note that I play in an over-30 soccer league. It's one of the highlights of my week between the months of April and August each summer.

It's a wonderful league in that the focus is on having fun and not getting injured. The regular mantra among all of the players is "remember we have to go to work tomorrow!" It's a family oriented league too, which means in those rare moments of frustration and expletives start to fly, there's usually one or more teammates that begin yelling, "remember the children, remember the children."

Though April is often a month full of sore muscles which make it difficult to walk, by the time August rolls around, I hate to see the season end. And that's the case this week as it's the last week of the season. I've had a blast (as I always do) playing this year. We don't keep track of wins/losses, but it seems like our team lost more than we won, but we had fun none the less. We had a good combination of teammates who got along well and had fun playing together. To my knowledge, no one's been injured this season that didn't have a pre-existing injury.

For me personally, I continued my streak of scoring at least 1 goal a season, scoring a few weeks ago. Though I'd hope to get playing time in a mid-field position, the team needed me to defend which allowed me to improve my defending skills.

Starting next week, my winter hibernation begins (some call that the NFL), but I'll emerge from the cave once again next April ready to pull the boots on once again for another invigorating season of over-30 soccer.