Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Divine Cancellations

Divine Cancellations
Pastor Scott has introduced us to the concept of divine appointments, God-made run-ins with people who need to experience God's love in some way shape or form. Unfortunately, Pastor Scott failed to teach us about divine cancellations, but we're a team around here so I'll pick up the slack.

I had a meeting scheduled for first thing this morning, but due to operator error I awoke 2 hours later than I had originally planned. In fact, I awoke 10 minutes after I was scheduled to be at the meeting. I was really upset with myself and convinced this would destroy my entire day. I calmed myself down enough to accept that while I don't want to make a habit of missing appointments, I didn't have to let it wreck my whole day. Instead, I viewed it as a divine cancellation, for some reason I guess I wasn't supposed to or wasn't going to be at that meeting.

There is a second definition for divine cancellations - this would be the appointment you grudingly scheduled but for reasons beyond your control you are unable to make; often resulting in celebration. But let me stress here that my meeting this morning does not fit this second definition.


Weekend Fragments - It took me a while to defragment, but here's what I could piece together from the weekend...

False Advertising
I know corporations are held to high standards when it comes to false advertising, but does that apply to TV shows? I'm convinced that the TV networks are sensationalizing, if not falsely advertising their upcoming episodes. Take The West Wing for example: the previews for the episode that aired on Sunday, 10/02 advertised that one of the character's career was going to end. That didn't happen in that episode! I thought I observed the same trend with several shows last season, but never doc
umented it to know for sure. I also observed it on the NFL post-game shows Sunday night as well. They all referenced the "controversial ending in Tampa." We watched (check that, they watched, I napped) through the ending of the Tampa/Detroit game in our AFF and there wasn't anything we would classify as "controversial". So we watched the post game report thinking that maybe something occurred after the broadcast, but they were just referring to a touchdown that was called back. I still don't think it deserved a "controversial" billing.

NASCAR @ Talladega

Sunday's NASCAR race was a shame, too many drivers eliminated way to early in the race. With
the new safety improvements, why doesn't NASCAR look at removing the restrictor plates and letting the cars run flat out? Watching three, sometimes four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic racing around a track at 180-190 miles an hour isn't racing when half the field is eliminated in accidents. And though it was great to see Dale Jarrett in victory lane for the first time in several years, it was even better to see Kyle Petty crabwalk the 45 across the finish line after he wrecked on the last lap and put the exclamation point by doing a burn out as the sheet metal was falling off of the car frame.

Big Ten Football
Except for Ohio State and Iowa, I guess the Big Ten has pretty much eliminated itself from sending a candidate for the National Championship as they keep beating each other. Makes for a good Big Ten season, but not for the overall rankings. I'm trying to contain my excitement over Penn State's resounding win against Minnesota. Though they'll have momentum going into the game, Ohio State's going to be a different story. Pastor Scott informed me that his OSU jersey is already for Sunday, if PSU pulls the upset, are we up for returning the favor?

College Soccer
Marc Myers (Lititz Christian alum) had an assist in Saturday's match between Philadelphia Biblical University and
Polytechnic University. Philadelphia Biblical went on to win 3-0.