Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Favorite Browser

For the time being, my favorite internet browser is Mozilla's Firefox (version 1.0.7). I've found Firefox extremely effective at minimizing the number of pop-ups and advertisements on webpages. Beyond that, Mozilla can up with some great enhancements to web-browsing that they incorporated into Firefox that made Microsoft's Internet Explorer obselete:

  • Tabbed-browsing - this may seem like a minor enhancement, but being able to open multiple webpages in tabs as opposed to opening them in separate windows is a huge help. This is especially when I'm researching a topic and want to have multiple sources open simultaneously. It's great to be able to tab back and forth between the pages.
  • Automatic Feeds - RSS feeds, the ability for programs to tell my computer when there's new information on a webpage, has overtaken the internet. A built-in Firefox feature automatically senses which webpages have RSS feeds and gives you the option of subscribing to them automatically. We use RSS feeds on the Grace Church website as does this blog. When you go to those pages the Firefox browser places a special orange icon in the lower right corner of the browser window. Clicking on that icon automatically subscribes you to the RSS feed which is placed along with your other Bookmarks.







I find these tools greatly enhance my web browsing and I commend Mozilla for their ingenuity. Microsoft is working on their next version of Internet Explorer and it's sure to incorporate these same features. But for now, Firefox is my favorite browser until another company can produce a better browser.