Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Network problems while doing 1,000 miles an hour

I just happened, by mere chance, to catch the launch of the latest Space Shuttle mission yesterday. I've always been intrigued and/or haunted by our space program. As a 3rd grader, when I heard that Young and Crippen, the crew of the first Shuttle mission would be awakening at 4am to begin preparing for launch, without alarm or whatever, I awoke at 4am. I followed that launch and mission as much as I could. Years later, I had nightmares and trouble sleeping for a few weeks after the Challenger disaster.

While some enjoy working to the background noise of Christian radio or other music, when a mission is underway, I enjoy listening to NASA TV. For the second time while listening to their broadcast, I've heard, in real time, astronauts, orbiting several hundred miles above the earth, having computer problems. It gives me a sick sense of relief... I'm not the only one who struggles with network connectivity etc.

The best was a couple of missions ago when the astronaut was heard to say, "After getting the blue screen of death a few times..." That was the best.