Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fightin' Phils Memories and Scars

I view much of my childhood in 4-year increments, divided by one year stays in the US for home service. The one-year stays tend to blend together for some reason, so I identify them by major events of that particular year.
1990-91: Manuel Noriega turned himself in
1985-86: Challenger Disaster
1980-81: Phillies won the World Series

The fervor of the past week has brought the memories of the 1980 Phillies to the forefront of my mind once again.

In grade 3 at the time, I don't recall much of the playoff run. I think I was usually in bed by the time the games were getting interesting. I recall struggling to fall asleep during one of the World Series games because I was so curious as to what was happening in the game, but that's the extent of what I recollect firsthand. Though I don't think I watched or listened to many of the games that season, several, if not many of the calls of the game are permanently etched in my mind.

Just before we returned to Philippines, a family friend gave me a cassette tape that told the story of the 1980's Phillies with actual game audio interpersed throughout. With baseball not being a sport heard of in the Philippines at the time that tape was my connection to the sport. I listened and played the tape constantly, on par with the frequency my nephews today watch a Veggie-tale or Bob The Builder episode. That much repitition has a tendency to etch itself into memory. In my teen years I must've lost the tape or recorded over it; one way or another it's gone. I've even searched without success for the album on the internet.

The last time the Phillies won the Eastern Division, I was in college. The scar of Joe Carter's home run is still there. Of course, our new Pastor Tim, the Canuck that he is, found himself on the winning end that year.

Will it be new memories or scars that will be created in the coming days?