Monday, October 15, 2007

Contacting missionaries in the new millenium

I remember my parents and brother sitting around a cassette recorder with a microphone recording tapes to send to grandparents in the US... awaiting the latest aerogramme from Grandma or Oma... urgent messages with stops interspersed coming via telegram... and in the most rare of occassions, sitting by a phone waiting countless of hours to get a line and even then, the connection was so poor you thought you could hear the schools of fish inevitably swimming around the wire that was likely traversing the ocean floor. Such were the overseas communication channels of the past.


In this day, those channels have been replaced primary by email, more dependable phone connections and the internet. I find I have to consciously remember that today's technologies bring our overseas contacts closer than ever and to take advantage of them.


I'm initiating at least montly communication attempts between our church staff and the families we support in faraway lands. Two weeks ago we tried the Weaver's, they were out that day, so we were only able to leave a voicemail message. Friday, we rang the Becker's and were able to talk with them for close to 30 minutes. Next, we'll attempt to connect with the Beuggert's.

This past Sunday, the Next Tier ABF talked with Mike and Joan who are in Cambodia right now. They had a conference call with the whole class that apparently went very well. So whether it's an ABF, the Missions Team or some other where two-or-three are gathered, don't miss out on the opportunity to connect and encourage others.


If you haven't discovered it yet, the internet based communication progam, Skype, is a very user friendly and reliable system. It's been around for a while, so I'm behind the curve having just activated it in the past two weeks, but it's been very effective thus far. Calls between Skype users (I've seen as many as 9 million of them online at one time) are free. I connected with a college friend who's serving in Paraguay on Wednesday. The line was clear as day, as if he was only in Ephrata. In fact, I have contacts in Lancaster County, who for bizarre reasons I don't understand, have to pay a toll call to call me at home. I hope to get them Skyping with me.


We need to maximize today's technologies to maintain, if not deepen, our relationships with our missionary families.