Saturday, September 27, 2008

Who is the wealthiest person you know?

Who is the wealthiest person you know?


While reading Internet coverage of the financial woes of our nation, the graphic on one of the articles was a TV screenshot of a financial expert who attends the church I served in back in Princeton. Having always respected the individual, I Google-ed to see what information I might find about their take on the current financial environment. One of the links was a Forbes.com page that reported, assuming I read it correctly, that this person earned $23M in 2007. Maybe it was just a good year, but that's got to be one of the wealthiest people I know, at least when it comes to financial wealth.

As I thought more about it, I know a lot of wealthy people when the definition of wealth is broadened. I know a lot of people who are wealthy by way of their family. God has blessed them with generation after generation that share a deep love for God and are serving Him faithfully in ministry and non-ministry positions alike. I know a lot of people who are spiritually wealthy, men and women, who through time in His Word and prayer investments have gained a love and relationship with their Saviour that forms a solid, unmovable foundation. God can bestow wealth on us on many different ways and I hope I don't miss out on it because I'm only looking at it through a human perspective.

So who is the wealthiest person you know and based on what definition of wealth?

Beyond the wealth, I've been negligent in playing my part during the current stresses. I need to be praying for our government and financial leaders alike. Like the individual I've referenced here, God has His agents strategically placed throughout our country and the globe to do His bidding. As in the past, He gives them the wisdom they need to make the decisions before them. I could be doing a better job supporting their efforts and asking God to protect their families through prayer.