Monday, July 14, 2008

Pastor Young Returns Again

Some observations from another visit and sermon from Pastor Young yesterday...

Interesting that he seems to show up, sometimes planned, but this time by coincidence, for hallmark moments in Grace Church life... celebrating paying off the mortgage and yesterday, the Auditorium renovations.

I'm amused by the families that no longer attend Grace regularly but who return only on the Sundays when Pastor Young is preaching. Says something about their relationship with Grace and also about relationship with wherever they attend when Pastor Young isn't preaching.

Though the style of delivery is quite different than most other Sunday's at Grace, the content is always dead on and like the ace on a baseball team's pitching staff, a change-up can be equally effective to a fastball in hitting the target. Did you leave encouraged like I did to daily pursue active dependence on God instead of passive dependence?

I missed his introduction and beginning of his message, but I wanted to note whether Pastor Young received another standing ovation yet again. Email me if you can help me out on that one. Over the past four years I sense that our church body has changed substantially and that the balance has shifted. That today there are more attenders who never knew Pastor Young as Pastor than there are attenders who attended regularly under his ministry. Just my guess.