Sunday, July 06, 2008

Knowing You're Capabilities/Limitations

A component to my definition of maturity, is knowing what one is capable of. Not to say I personify my definition of maturity, I am aware of my capabilities or limitations in several areas. For one, I have limitations in the area of house projects. My bloodline in that department is strong, one of my grandfather's was a skilled woodsman and taught shop at Wildwood (NJ) High School for years. My other grandfather, an engineer by training, also possessed skills that would put any craftsman to the test. I unfortunately, have yet to uphold the family reputation.

While my lack of opportunity to hone such skills may be a light factor, I'm much better at the demo phase than I am at the building or finishing stages of any project. Last week, in an effort to address a toilet that would run constantly from time to time, I embarked on replacing the internals of the toilet tank. It was the second time in a year or so I tackled such a project, so I should've had the knack of it. As I learned the first time around, getting the rusty bolts that attached the tank to the base was the hardest part of the project. Unlike the first project, this second project literally went down the toilet when, in an attempt to dislodge the rusty bolt, the porcelain tank broke apart rendering the tank worthless. I'm just not made out for this type of stuff.

Likewise, I can tell that I'm getting close to crossing the threshold whence others will be better suited to take care of my Dad than I can. I know it, my wife knows it and Dad recognizes it. We've started the exploration process to assess what options are available. I have to accept my capabilities and my limitations.