Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Joint Strategic Comp Plan - Public Hearing

I attended the public hearing last night on the Joint Strategic Comprehensive Plan. Much to the encouragement of the steering committee, township/borough officials and everyone that's worked on the project for the past year, there were more than 50 people in attendance. The presentation was the same as the one I attended just over a month ago, but the public comments were entered into the record at this meeting.

Grace Church submitted a letter to the Steering Committee with our comments a few weeks back and they entered that into the record. We were very impressed with the plan, but felt while steps were continuing to be taken to preserve the agricultural heritage of the area, the religious heritage was being forgotten. As part of the fabric of the community and as providers of more and more civic services to the community, the role of churches in the region has to be a consideration. The feedback to our comments has been positive and it was good to see at least three other Grace attenders at the public hearing.

Fortunately, I took a camera along with me and I snapped a couple of shots of maps that pertain to our location.


Map #1 - New roads being considered



This graphic shows future roads that are being considered. I added the yellow X which indicates the 501 W Lincoln property and the yellow O which represents the property we own across the street. Extending Arrowhead Dr should be a favorable addition (if it is actually implemented) to the church because it will give us an access to the other property.


Map #2 - Traffic study in 2005

Average daily traffic in 2005 that drove by the church on W Lincoln Ave was 5,390 a day. That compares to 16,000 a day on 501 North of Lititz.

Map #3 - Traffic study

Comparing 501 North of Lititz with 501 South of Lititz, 16,000 a day north of town, 22,160 a day, south of town.


Map #4 - traffic study

About 10,000 a day take Newport Rd heading East towards Rothsville.

This information is of interest to Grace for advertising purposes and for the potential relocation of Route 772. But I now realize that I didn't pay attention to the volume on 772, so I guess I'll have to go back to the Twp to look at the map again. The maps (there are like 9 or 10 others not pictured here) and the draft plan are available at the Twp and Borough buildings.

In my next post, I'll share some of my more memorable Township meeting memories and why Post-It's, a simple 2" x 2" piece of paper can become so important.