Thursday, January 26, 2006

Walk Like a Chameleon

I reread Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson last night. It’s a book I came across about a year or so before Pastor Young retired and one that I shared with my staff in anticipation of the changes that would come through the leadership transition. I get a kick out of the metaphor and enjoy the short story, but the simplicity of the book stares in sharp contrast to the complexities of change.

Through my formal Organizational Leadership studies and my 10 years of experience in church leadership, I’ve discovered that being adaptable is a crucial, though underrated, character trait. We didn’t spend much time in class talking about how to be adaptable, or how to become adaptable. As we’ve encountered changes at the churches I’ve been a part of, we didn’t identify our need to adapt, it was assumed or it didn’t happen. If I could select my own character trait toolbox, I’d want adaptable in there, readily accessible. I’m not sure I’m good at a adapting, but I’ve identified several times in the past few years where I had to adapt.

When I accepted the position as Business Manager, I agreed to a lengthy and specific job description. I was excited with all the responsibility I was expected to carry, but I soon learned that what had been written on paper didn’t reflect the actual operation. In addition, it was clear that other forces were at play that would produce conflict should I attempt to assume all the responsibilities listed in my job description. For a moment, I surveyed the situation, assessed the pros and cons and asked myself if I could adapt to the way things actually were operating as opposed to the way they had been written down. I accepted it and did my best. In the end, I think it worked. That wasn’t the first time my job had ever changed and it wouldn’t be the last.

We had some staff changes in the midst of some financial stress at one stage and I was faced with another adaptable moment. With reduced staff, reduced cash, but the same production demand, could I adapt to make it work? I remember challenging myself as I assessed the circumstances, “Let’s see if I can excel with this makeup.” I became more involved in the day-to-day operations than normal, because that’s what we needed to keep up. When I identify an adaptable moment, I try to view it as a challenge to my ability to lead and manage. Am I up to this challenge? Am I good enough to adapt to the style needed to work in this situation?

With the leadership transition, my job has morphed again. Year 1 under Pastor Scott’s leadership, I spent a lot of time orienting Pastor Scott to the ways of Grace. In the past 6 months, that role has diminished and changed to becoming more of an advisor on the business issues of the church. These shifts have required more of my time, making me less available for the role and tasks I performed three, four years ago. It’s required me to delegate and manage more. As I look back, each phase is different from all the rest because I attempted to adapt to my read of what was needed at the time. Some of the snapshots are hilarious.

Me dressed in my normal work attire, dress shirt, tie, slacks, loafers, jumping up and down in the already-full dumpster to make more room for the influx of trash produced at school year’s end. We were between Facility Directors at the time. That’s my most favorite.

The survival of the fittest theory would indicate I’ve adapted well enough. I wonder what I’ll get to adapt to next?