Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Orange Squeeze

My fears were realized last night at around 10 p.m. when Florida State scored their second touchdown to take the lead in the Orange Bowl. Since the BCS Bowl match-ups were announced I was nervous about Penn State’s chances against Florida State. I feel more comfortable with Penn State as the underdog. Once Florida State took the lead, I couldn’t watch anymore. While I’m happy with the final result, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Penn State fall in the final polls.

Having been ranked 3rd in the country prior to this week and playing against the 22nd ranked team in the country, Penn State had to come out big in order to keep the voters impressed. I don’t think a triple overtime game was impressive enough. Over another top-10 team, maybe, but 22nd; I don’t think so. Secondly, Ohio State looked exceptionally strong in their drubbing of Notre Dame on Monday afternoon and West Virginia’s showing against Georgia was impressive too. Notre Dame, Auburn, Georgia and Miami fall, but Ohio State, West Virginia and LSU climb up the rankings. I would not be surprised to see West Virginia and Ohio State end up ahead of Penn State.