Wednesday, January 04, 2006

False Sense of Security

Churches give us a false sense of security. Think about it, when you go to the mall do you ever consider leaving your car unlocked? There’s an expectation that churches are different, that I shouldn’t have to lock my car that I can leave my wallet in my coat, which hangs in a public coat rack for more than two hours. Why is this?

We’re probably making some bad assumptions…
That while we are sinners, stealing is a sin that doesn’t tempt us.
That everyone coming to church is just like us.
That somehow the church property is exempt from the real world.

We need to change our assumptions. Church facilities are public buildings just like the local mall. This is only amplified with churches that operate seven days a week. There are hundreds of people that are in and out of our facility, many of whom have no tie to our church. From a scriptural approach, we are commanded to refrain from doing things, which cause our brother to stumble. If we leave valuables lying about or unsecured, aren’t we possibly tempting our brother?

A church is a collection of sinners, people who aren’t perfect or immune to doing wrong. I lock our car and keep my personal belongings with me at all times. I do hang my coat on the coat rack, but I don’t leave any valuables in the pocket and I have a 3x5 card in one of the pockets with my contact information in case anyone picks my coat up by mistake.