Monday, August 11, 2008

Leaving talents on the shelf

I have a sincere question for which I am truly requesting your interaction. The question is, can you recall or find any scriptural foundation or an illustration from The Bible that supports leaving identified and known God-given talents/abilities/gifts on the shelf for a period of time?



There's profound evidence supporting the opposite of that question, that God strongly endorses the use of talents, and Christian leaders among many others, highly promote that range of thinking. If God's blessed with you a set of skills, even spiritual gifts, He's given them to you for a purpose and for them to be exercised. Not exercising said gifts, in many cases, could be classified as quenching the Spirit. Scriptural support for this line of reasoning can include the parable of the talents among others. Scripturally, it's solid. From a human perspective, it's a logical thought process that, frankly, stokes the soul.



God gave you the gifts to use them. Orient your life around them, leverage your spiritual gifts the way God has put them in your life.



The popularity of the notion raised the question in my mind as I don't recall hearing anyone else explore the opposite line of thinking. Is there any evidence in scripture that God equipped one of his children with multiple gifts which for some period of time intentionally remained on the shelf? And I'm not talking about undeveloped gifts, I recognize that God may have blessed an individual with a gift that has yet to show itself or be exercised. I'm talking about an identified gift/talent/ability that produced fruit that is conscientiously limited, shelved for a set period of time. Can you think of any scripture that would support such gift sabbaticals?


Even though I know my readers don't usually chose to comment I'm asking you this one time to step out of your comfort zone. I'd really appreciate your interaction by leaving a response, comment or answer to the question. I thank you in advance for your participation.