Friday, January 25, 2008

A sanctuary for 25,000 people

During the course of another trip to my Dad's neurologist in Philadelphia, I had the chance to ponder the forethought that went into the famed Pennsylvania Railroad 30th Street Station. Granted, the Pennsy constructed the edifice at a time when railroad traffic was near it's peak, but having been constructed in 1934, the station has met the daily volume of passengers, some 25,000 daily, that pass through it's hallowed halls. To my knowledge, this has been accomplished over the past 74 years without any expansion program. Each time I'm in the station I marvel at the design. To anticipate the need for so much open space, someone apparently figured, planned for and banked on a lot of people lining to board numerous trains in regular succession. And the impressive statement of the massive ceiling and the roman columns; just exquisite architecture. And while to the daily commuters it's likely just a station, to a Pennsylvania Railroad fan like myself, it's a sanctuary.

I wonder if it is at all possible to create a worship sanctuary along the same lines. A structure that is designed with enough forethought to serve the needs of a congregation for 75 years. Or do church organisms, in harvest rich environments especially, naturally outgrow spaces?

I'm still mulling the answer to that, but I do know that the 30th Street Station is one of numerous examples of why the Pennsy is renowned as "The Standard Railroad of the World."