Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tuesday's with Lenny: Ephrata Fair

Dad must've heard an add on WDAC for an upcoming fair or something which prompted him to request that we check one out. If you've never found it, the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs is a great website for finding fair dates. In fact, until only recently, I insisted that the local fairs be listed on the master calendar at church due to the impact fairs have on week-night ministry attendance.

We headed out to the Ephrata Fair this evening right after leaving work. Beth and I had checked the fair out several years ago, so this wasn't my first experience. I'm really intrigued at the cultural similarities though physically they're miles apart - Fiesta in the farming town I grew up in the Philippines and the fairs of Lancaster County are eerily similar. Then again, Roots Country Market is almost exactly identical to the town market of Labo; Labo's just has a better fish section... smells worse and has more flies than Roots. Other than that, you could click and drag one market or fair from one country and drop it in the other and you'd see very few differences. So we headed to Ephrata for Fiesta...

Dad and I walked as much of the fair as we could discover. We happened upon the Cornerstone Mennonite Church booth. I was well on my way to keep walking by, but Dad stopped to talk. See, close to 30 years ago he participated in a similar type of church outreach at the Princeton Shopping Center handing out copies of the New Testament. About eight years later Dad was at Washington Bible College recruiting future missionaries and had a conversation with an individual who, upon being asked how he came to know Christ, shared a story about accepting Christ when talking with a group that was handing out New Testaments at the Princeton Shopping Center. The guy returned from his dorm room with the New Testament he received that day with the church's name imprinted on the back. The whole point of this is, Dad stopped at every church booth we passed Tuesday night, Cornerstone, the Bereans and the Gideons to share this story with them. He saw an opportunity to encourage them and seized it. Dad's abilities are limited, but it's not keeping him from constantly on the look for where God is working and how he can become a part of what God's up to. All the while I've got my head on a swivel to identify the nearest restroom and contemplating other matters...

The children's rides amuse me. I was so tempted to ask one of the operators how frequently their ride is inspected and what organization certifies them. As I watched little kids plunging up and down, riding in circles or teens on the ferris wheel, I'm checking my mobile phone and identifying the nearest cross street, at the ready to dial 9-1-1 and state the position of the accident.

And what's with the fish?!? You'd think PETA would be flipping out over the cruelty to those gilly-scaled creatures crammed in itty-bitty living spaces with vibrantly colored water.

Oh, and I'd love to see the financial statements of the whole deal. Like how much income do all of the game booths generate? And the operators, do they have a day job? What about the electric, I noticed the trunk lines running across streets etc.; how much electric does a fair consume?

I haven't frequented the area fairs enough to observe whether the same stands move from one fair to the next or whether you get different rides and food stands at each or not.

I enjoyed myself, finally getting the pulled-pork bbq sandwich I missed out on at the Rodeo. We sat by a ATM machine that apparently had an appetite having eaten the ATM cards of 4-5 people in a row. The day the fair starts taking cards is the day we'll start accepting cards at Grace. Actually, I'll come back to that topic in an upcoming post.

Dad faired well. Like clockwork, his medications slumped just after dinner time, but trooper that he is, he chose to press on and not miss out on the festivities. Food is amazing motivation. On our way out, we passed the U.S. Marines booth. Dad stopped there too to thank the Marine for his service to our country and his already three tours in Iraq. I hope I'm as tenacious in seeking out ways to encourage others in spite of the hand I'm dealt.