Monday, December 05, 2005

My Tannenbomb

Though I have my share of typos, the typo in the title is on purpose... Thank goodness I have a day job! For some reason, I don't get along well with Christmas tree lights. Every year, it takes me forever to string the lights on the tree. This past Saturday, we started decorating the tree around 12 noon. The tree wasn't lit until about midnight. Granted, we weren't working on it non-stop, but we didn't accomplish anything else during the day. Oh, at that was just the lights. The ornaments, garland, etc. went up Sunday evening. So I think the tree is more appropriately called a Tannenbomb.

Speaking of holiday decorations, the large inflatable lawn ornaments are apparently a hit with some Christmas decorators. I don't get them. I've tried to imagine the corporate brainstorm meeting where this concept was hatched... hours into the deliberation, the employees feeling the pressure of the most recent economic downturn and after a day long deliberation with little results they hit the jackpot, Smith blurts out "I know, why don't we make a big inflatable snow globe that people can put on their lawns!"

Then there's the ensuing scene, the family is shopping at their local all-in-one mart and seeing the inflatable item exclaims, "That will go perfectly with the Christmas lights on our house!" I don't get it. The best part about the inflatable decorations is seeing them deflated like a melted snowman when I go to work each morning.

One other Christmas Tree note, Marlin W. figured out that the reason Pastor Scott couldn't get the chainsaw to work was because the one pictured on his blog is electric.