Monday, December 12, 2005

I only like Christmas surprises

I don't like surprises, especially first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, when you work in infrastructure areas, managing systems on which others rely to do their work, you have to deal with surprises. So my normal morning routine was again interrupted with a surprise when I opened the door to the office this morning - one of our computer network servers had a problem. This is the perfect week for a network problem: the school Christmas program is tonight and uses computers, the school is scheduled to process grades today using computers, the Christmas walk-thru is this weekend among our regular tasks. No pressure or anything. So I donned my fire helmet and went to work to put out another fire. I don't like surprises like that. I think the only surprises I like are the kind that come on Christmas morning.

I can hear Santa on the phone with me Christmas morning, "Andrew, uh, the network is down." That's the kind of surprise I like, the kind that only come on Christmas.