Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bias against sales people

One of my greatest challenges is how I represent the church when a salesperson comes calling. I have very little time for sales people, in fact, it's a flat out bias. See from my perspective, if the product requires selling, it's not good enough for me. I figure I have what I need or what I want and don't need to be convinced otherwise. If I have questions about something I'm considering, the sales person should be there to provide the answers. The products I want to purchase should be so good they sell themselves and don't need a sales presentation. The moment I sense a sales job, my warning mechanisms kick-in. I assume, unfairly, that all salespeople oversell and under deliver. Completely unfair to the salesperson. My personal preference is to undersell and over deliver.

This bias grossly clouds my interaction with salespeople who contact the church. While they're looking for a sale, only recently did I realize that every contact was a testimony for Christ. I regret that in the long-distance telemarketing days I played with sales calls like a cat plays with a caught mouse. One time, I turned the tables on the sales caller and I instead tried to sell them on the long distance carrier I was using.

I was always aware that I didn't have the time of day for a sales call, but it's only recently that I clarified that it's an out and out bias.