Monday, November 27, 2006

I was reading Wired over the weekend and this article seemed hit Friday's post on the head. The paragraph that jumped off the screen for me was,

Until about five minutes ago, remember, almost all video-entertainment content was produced and distributed by Hollywood. Period. That time is over. There was a time when advertisers could count on mass audiences for what Hollywood thought we should be watching on TV. That time is all but over. There was a time when broadband penetration was too slight and bandwidth costs too prohibitive for video to be watched online. That time is sooooo over. "The era of the creepy blue light leaking out of every living room window on the block is now officially at an end," says my pal and occasional colleague Steve Rosenbaum, founder of video-sharing startup Magnify.net and one of the inventors a decade ago of citizen video. "The simple, wonderful, delirious fact is that people like you and me can now make and share content."
In conversations with friends and co-workers I hear and sense that many just don't get all of this. Some don't understand the fascination with blogging, let alone YouTube. "It's a dear diary for the world, but why would I want the world to know what's in my diary and why would the world even care?" But it's a whole different mindset.

Administering Grace readers seemed to enjoy the other week's series on our travels to Dallas. Wouldn't it be cool if I could have recorded the encounters so you could have seen us running through the Charlotte airport or seen the security guard ask if I wanted sheets and a pillow? The technology is available that I could have done that. And if I had that I could share it with the world, "Hey, did you see Andrew's..."

Interactivity is another component, one that's been underutilized on Administering Grace by the way. Unfortunately, the majority of people who've attempted to interact with this blog aren't regular attenders of Grace, my intended primary audience. This whole digital mumbo-jumbo gives you the opportunity to interact. It's an element I still hope to add so this can become a two-way dialog about Administering Grace.

There's more I want to comment on regarding this topic, but I want to read The Millenium Matrix first.