Monday, March 06, 2006

The Sword-Wielding Pastor

I had planned to start a series of entries about starting a ministry at Grace today, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. I couldn't resist commenting on the sword-wielding Pastor.

If you weren't at Grace Church yesterday, you should listen to yesterday's message which should be posted on our website later this morning. In the midst of the sermon, Pastor Scott pulled out a U.S. Marine sword as an illustration. For the next 15-20 minutes, instead of his usual hand motions and other emphatic-designed movements, he walked around the pulpit swinging the sword. A sight unlike anything I've ever seen in church. Here are some of the thoughts that crossed my mind...

Forget about bringing out the big guns, our Pastor pulls out a sword!

Our congregation is so hard-headed, our Pastor has to preach with a sword in order to get us to change.

Our insurance agent called this morning to inform me that our premiums were just increased. They're nervous that the sword might slip out of his hand and fly into the audience.

I was reminded of another individual who I've seen in video clips waving a sword around. If Pastor shows up with a pump-action shot gun, discharging it one-handed next week, it will be more than just coincidence.

Based on his blog from last Friday, I'm actually glad he wasn't looking at the middle sections yesterday.

Maybe you didn't, but I saw humor in the sword. As with most of our messages, it impacted me and challenged me in my walk with Christ. I consider it a privelege to sit under Pastor Scott's teaching both in the congregation on Sunday's and as I shared on Friday, in the office during the week. Barring any other unforeseen events that I feel I have to share, I should start the ministry at Grace stuff tomorrow.