Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Norton Defs: Loose Grip

loose (lŌs) n.: Freedom from restraint. A letting go; discharge.
grip n.: An energetic or tenacious grasp; a holding fast; strength in grasping.

I regularly have to remind myself to keep a loose grip as I administer Grace; not to loose a grip that I drop things, but not so tight a grip that I choke them either. It’s s a concept that has really helped me keep an even keel through my years of church work.

Loose grip is closely related to stewardship, both emphasize that I’m not the owner, I’m simply the manager. It also applies to when things don’t go the way I would’ve liked. Keeping a loose grip implies not giving up and not stressing out – just keep handle on things. I’ve found it to be a very appropriate tool for the church context with numerous personalities who are highly vested in our ministries. There’s the potential for so much conflict that a loose grip is required.

A loose grip was also the reason I never did well on the monkey bars.