Monday, September 19, 2005

I'm ready for some football


Okay, I've been reading my posts here and while informative, it's not high on the interest level and doesn't have a broad appeal. Thank goodness I love what I do! Anyway, I hope to intersperse some other topics here and there, hopefully to keep this from reading like an encyclopedia.

I love competition, put two groups against each other and I'm interested. The medium doesn't really matter - I'm even trying to get the church staff to compete to see who types the fastest. Right now it's football season and I enjoy good competition on the football field. I gave up rooting solely for one team when the Eagles lost the Superbowl XV to the Oakland Raiders. I was crushed that night and have been scarred ever since. I don't have strong loyalties to anyone team and I'm susceptible to being a bandwagon fan, but my main interest is seeing two evenly matched teams knock helmets for 60+ minutes of pounding football.

So when I'm asked who I route for, I often answer, "the referees." Have you ever observed the head referees in the NFL today? Many of them, in their own unique way add their own twist to the job:
Bernie Kukar announces first downs with an accent, "First doooooown"
Mike Carey motions the official signals as if he is an ex-cheerleader.
Tom White signals first down by punching his palm then signalling the first down
Ed Hochuli has huge biceps - I wouldn't want to run into him in a back alley

There's at least one other freak-fan out there who has taken notice and even posted pictures of each of these guys. I enjoy seeing who the NFL calls upon to call the big games and which referees make it to the playoffs and the SuperBowl. It's amazing that most of them have full time jobs during the week.

So, if you're looking for me on a Sunday afternoon between September and January, more than likely I'm flipping between multiple games not only watching the game, but mimicing the referees. Offsides on the defense, five yard penalty, first dooooooooown.