Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Searching for respite care

When my wife and I go on vacation, we've been fortunate that some local elder-care facilities have respite care rooms that Dad can stay in. Much to our surprise as we planned for our upcoming time away, the facility we had been using ceased to offer respite stay, so at the last minute we were searching for a new facility.


Assessing facilities for their ability to care for a loved one is a trying task. Things that crossed my mind included the cleanliness of the facility, friendliness of the staff with whom I'm meeting and the variety of services they have to offer... that was about it. When you break it down, there's not a whole lot to go on.


I've been in a couple of facilities more than once and frankly, they eerily resemble each other. Typically, the facilities are nicely furnished with multiple lobby gathering areas decked out in couches and small conversational spaces, but I rarely see them in use other than when the residents are anxiously awaiting the opening of the food line for the next meal. Residents appear to spend a lot of time isolated in their individual rooms, are we really that anti-social a culture? Is the investment in lobby spaces and plush couches purely for the impression it sends to first time guests - a plush cushiony white wash - that says "we're friendly"?


Ultimately, you have to reach a decision point, with mostly perceptions upon which to decide. My decision was about a care facility, I wonder if people choose a daycare or a Christian school on similar criteria?


Consciously or not, from what I've read, our perceptions play a role in all decision making. You can't remove that from the equation. But can we provide additional information to help decision makers get below the surface? I love the example of a business acquaintance who I've invited to Grace who wanted to review the church doctrinal statement as part of his consideration.

I picked a care facility, not realizing the deja vu that would ensue...