Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Sunday Observation

I observed something this Sunday morning that I'd never observed before. It's probably been there for weeks, maybe months and even years, but I only observed it for the first time today. Others have pointed out the volume of traffic at supermarket parking lots. And while that definitely is true of our community I've viewed it from a distance.

This Sunday, what was supposed to be a Q&A time about the proposed budget turned into a personal quiet time, but what was happening out the window caught my eye. Grace Church's neighbors were setting up their pool. It was more than a Kodak moment, for just capturing the images that my eyes observed would miss several other senses that contributed to the full effect of the moment.

For as my eyes saw the three children running around the yard performing their rendition of an open the pool dance with mom and dad methodically going about the procedures for pool preparation, emanating through the hallways and into Room 203 were the praise songs from the Auditorium. It hit me that probably every week, within but 100 or so feet, there's a family that presumably doesn't worship a Risen Saviour. A family who's name may or may not be on the wall, but are literally on the other side of it.

I'm not giving up on that family and the others that surround our property. Last winter Pastor Scott, Rick Bernhardt, John Kegarise and myself invited some of the families to have dinner with us, but we received but a few responses. I've suggested we personally invite the families to the upcoming Patriotic Service and family fun afterwards. I'm not giving up.

I hope some day I see a similar scene... the parents and the children eagerly anticipating going into a pool with praise songs in the background. Only this time it's their entrance is a public proclamation that they believe Christ died on the Cross for their sins.