Thursday, May 10, 2007

Meeting CHILDREN Where They Are

I had the opportunity to be the Secret Reader for our grade 1 and grade 2 classes today; what a way to make my day! I read two books that have had a significant impact on my life: Big Joe's Trailer Truck and Curious George Gets A Medal. Though I was only scheduled to read one book, they convinced me and their teachers to go for two.

I thoroughly enjoyed having all of 30 minutes with these kids, many of whom I recognize from being in our daycare and from the Kindergarten graduation program the last two years. Nothing like this kind of an opportunity to make me even more aware of just how important a role our staff play in partnering with each child's parents in helping them train their children in the way they should go. That really hit home with one of the students who I know has been in our care since she was close to 6-weeks old. I remember the day she took her first steps...in our building. We all cheered her on!

Our staff have incredible opportunities on a daily basis to meet children where they are and move them to where God wants them to be. And as I walk the hallways, I know that can be a very challenging task at times. I do not take for granted the opportunity I have to support and encourage them in their ministry. Though just as faulty, if not less than me, I have the utmost respect and admiration for our staff.