Monday, July 10, 2006

European Football

I'm not sure I've documented my enjoyment of European Football, but for the past month, the majority of the world has been fixated on the matches unfolding in Germany - aka the World Cup. And today, much of the world is focused on the final moments of the career of one Zinedine Zidane who in one moment was being referred to in the circles of John Elway and Bill Russell, sportsmen who ended at the top of their sports in the US and mentioning him in the same sentence as world-football greats, Pele and Maradona. And then in an instant, Zidane is relegated to the realms of Mike Tyson (who bit off part of the ear of Evander Holyfield) and other disgraced athletes. Of all the commentary I've seen, I've found the following article the most insightful.

As I told someone several years ago, but for the grace of God I am just as capable of such horrific and destructive acts, for I too am a sinner.

All said, it was indeed a shame.