Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My Super Deacon

I never thought my observation skills would become so handy.

Since mid-February my daily commute has increased some 10+ miles as I travel in to East Petersburg and then back to Lititz at the beginning and end of each day. As stated previously here, I know a number of people by the cars they drive, so with this longer commute I've been able to identify who I pass along the road from Grace Church each day. I figured it was worth noting, but had little other value to my daily living. That was until the day the tank ran dry.

As I was approaching East Petersburg coming down Route 72 I sensed the engine was running a little different than normal. I knew I was stretching the run on that tank of gas, but I didn't have money to purchase gas at my first chance, the second chance I passed up because I didn't have time and the third chance I passed up because I figured I'd be okay. So in true NASCAR form, as we passed by McMinn's Paving company, I had pressed my luck too far and the van came to a stop right under the billboard.

As I stepped out of the car quickly gauging how far of I walk I'd have to the nearest gas station and laying my plans, the thought hit me with little time to spare... I knew that I had passed Dave heading North on 72 every morning about that exact time for the past two weeks. Just as I looked at the Northbound traffic, there was his maroon Ford Escape about to pass me by. I called out to him and waved my hand desperately hoping I'd catch his attention.

It worked! He stopped, delayed having breakfast with his wife to help me out and then was on his way. Dave and his wife are our Deacons, but this made them Super Deacons, right there when I needed them.

But most of all, I thank them for so kindly calling ahead to the office to let my staff know that I run out of gas and that I'd be late for work. They really went the extra mile, making sure I'd get a good ribbing when I got to the office. Somehow this violates the Deacon-Congregant privilege, but I haven't been able to find the exact statute.

Thought it doesn't do much for my resume, being extra observant saved me a long walk to the gas station that morning.