Friday, April 28, 2006

Testing the OpenOffice

I came across OpenOffice.org a few months back. I installed it on our personal computer, but I've been interested to try it at the office. Software licensing costs us a chunk of money each year and while the Microsoft products are generally accepted as the industry standard, they aren't necessarily the best. So to outlay the sums of money we do each year for software that could be better... it just doesn't seem like the wisest stewardship. So I'm embarking on a test beginning this week to see if OpenOffice can adequately replace Microsoft Office for the tasks I do on a regular basis.

My hypothesis is that indeed OpenOffice will serve my needs sufficiently, the challenge will be whether those with whom I exchange files will be able to convert the documents I send them.

I'll keep you posted.